Thursday, March 09, 2006

Will the Real Liverpool Striker Please Stand Up?

Although my interest in football stemmed since primary school, my support for Liverpool only became serious when I went to MCKK, towards the end of the Roy Evans / Spice Boys era. What is fresh in memory is of course Houllier and Benitez.

Under Houllier, Liverpool was very much a defensive team. More often than not, we nicked goals even when the Reds lacked possession through a Gerard long ball that was perfect for Owen, whose speed would convert that into a goal. Then, in my mind I thought that they would never be the leading team in the Premiership until their game became a bit more positive and they dominate the game.

At the moment Liverpool has started to dominate game, this year even more so than last. We still rely on a tight defence marshalled by the evergreen Hyppia with the hardwork of Carragher. Our midfield is superb (interestingly I think Liverpool play better when Sissoko is in central defence along with Alonso, with Gerrard in rightwing), dominating the game with superb technique and flow.

Read more here.

No comments: